Update: Rep. Mullin has been located and he reports that he is “heading home.”
“I am heading home,” Mullin said in a Wednesday morning post. “Have we been helping get Americans out of Afghanistan, yes. Is the mission continuing, yes. Am I missing, no. Did I go dark for a little, yes because it wasn’t safe to be communicating.”
A Republican Congressman fed up with the Biden administration’s incompetent rescue and extraction operations in Afghanistan took matters into his own hands and has ventured into the country seeking to aid Americans. He is now being reported “missing.”
The Washington Post reported that Republican Congressman Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) went on a ‘rogue evacuation mission,’ while dismissing warnings from the State Department not to travel to the country. The GOP lawmaker reportedly contacted the U.S. embassy in Tajikistan in an effort to move cash into Afghanistan.
SCOOP: A GOP member of Congress threatened a U.S. ambassador in attempting a second unauthorized trip to Afghanistan.
Rep. Mullin told embassy in Tajikistan he needed help transporting cash en route to Afghanistan for a rescue mission.
— Tyler Pager (@tylerpager) August 31, 2021
“Embassy officials told Mullin they could not assist him in skirting Tajikistan’s laws on cash limits on his way to visiting one of the most dangerous places on earth,” the Post reported.
“The episode marked Mullin’s second attempt to travel to Afghanistan in as many weeks for an unauthorized evacuation effort despite the perilous security environment,” the Post added. “Last week, Mullin traveled to Greece and asked the Department of Defense for permission to visit Kabul. The Pentagon denied Mullin’s request, an administration official said.
“Mullin’s behavior has alarmed top U.S. officials who say he has gone to extraordinary lengths to defy U.S. warnings,” the Post continued. “The attempt follows an unauthorized trip to Afghanistan by Reps. Seth Moulton (D-Mass) and Peter Meijer (R-Mich.) last week, which Pentagon and State Department officials criticized as a public relations stunt that sapped government resources during a national-security crisis.”
“As of late Tuesday, U.S. officials said they were unsure of Mullin’s location,” the Post said. “Mullin’s office did not respond to multiple requests for comment.”
“To say this is extremely dangerous is a massive understatement,” said an unidentified State Department official.
The news comes as the U.S. State Department is coming under fire after numerous reports that it is blocking ‘unauthorized’ rescue and extraction missions in Afghanistan, as Becker News reported earlier.
Biden is BLOCKING the rescue of over 86 Americans who are trying to fly out of Afghanistan. pic.twitter.com/SSm13FSTjQ
— Sebastian Gorka DrG (@SebGorka) August 31, 2021
“Biden is BLOCKING the rescue of over 86 Americans who are trying to fly out of Afghanistan,” Seb Gorka and then passed along a personal testimonial.
On Monday, the Wall Street Journal confirmed that civilian aircraft was restricted from landing in Afghanistan without authorization.
“The Federal Aviation Administration said on Monday that the airport was now without air-traffic control and civilian aircraft were barred from landing in Afghanistan without prior approval,” the Wall Street Journal reported.
Earlier, there were multiple reports that the State Department was even obstructing the landing and refueling of aircraft tied to rescue operations in Afghanistan.
Amid widespread reports of rescue efforts from groups like Task Force Pineapple, Task Force Dunkirk, and Team America, the U.S. State Department has issued an advisery to nations surrounding Afghanistan to deny support to aircraft conducting such operations in Afghanistan.
“Now being told that State Dept. is telling nations surrounding Afghanistan not to allow private jets handling the private extractions to land and/or refuel,” John Cardillo reported. “This is inexplicable and evil.”
Military-connected sources tell Becker News the rationale behind denying private flights to be refueled in the region is that air space is being cleared for further evacuations. But the order also conflicts with reports that evacuations have temporarily halted for Americans wanting to leave Kabul airport.
“1/2 My US citizen grandparents with valid passports turned away at HKIA Abbey gate because they were not on a ‘list?”’Ataullah Khan tweeted. “Are we truly evacuating all US citizens?”
“They’re told that all flights are cancelled until Monday,” Khan added. “We do not know if they will make it at this point.”
In a video update on Wednesday, Glenn Beck estimated that the group had evacuated 2,100 people. Glenn Beck also said that the State Department was blocking them throughout his efforts. The State Department is not organizing such private evacuation flights, a spokesperson told the Catholic News Agency.
“Due to the State Department blocking us seemingly every step of the way, I will only tell you where (we’re headed) after the refugees are on the ground,” Beck said on Thursday.
On Saturday, Glenn Beck put out the warning on Instagram that Kabul airport was in the process of being shut down.
“The Kabul airport is finished. No more humanitarian flights. Turn off your phone and find safe shelter. The Nazarene Fund will not be issuing any more updates as we and others go dark. We will not forget you. Stay alive and trust in God and miracles. You will see them. Until then TNF reminds you ‘look up’. He sees you and will never leave your side,” Beck wrote on Instagram.
The last official U.S. evacuation flight out of Kabul airport left on Monday. In its wake are hundreds of Americans seeking to get their loved ones home; now, including a U.S. Congressman.
OPINION: This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion.