Justin Trudeau’s government is pivoting hard away from the Covid pandemic restrictions, but thus far, only for travelers into and out of Canada.
The Canadian government on Monday announced that it is dropping all COovid-19 border restrictions for anyone entering Canada. This includes: proof of COVID-19 vaccination, quarantine, and isolation requirements as well as all mandatory Covid testing.
According to CTV News, Canada is also making the “ArriveCan application optional, and is lifting the mask mandate and health check requirements for travellers on planes and trains.”
“Declaring the imminent end of these restrictions—effective Oct. 1— marks a major milestone in Canada’s pandemic response,” CTV noted.
Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Public Safety Marco Mendicino, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra and other relevant ministers and public health officials discussed ending the pandemic restrictions in Ottawa on Monday morning .
The expiration of the Quarantine Act means:
- Foreign nationals won’t need to be vaccinated to enter the country;
- Incoming travellers to major airports won’t be subject to random mandatory COVID-19 tests;
- Unvaccinated Canadians will no longer have to isolate when they return;
- Travellers will not have to monitor or report if they develop COVID-19 symptoms upon arrival;
- Submitting public health information through the ArriveCan app prior to landing will become optional; and
- It’ll no longer be mandatory to wear a face mask while travelling on planes or trains.
Cruise ship measures are also being lifted, though passenger and crew protection guidelines will stay in place to “align with the approach used in the United States.”
Officials said that while Canada is lifting the mask mandate, travelers are still “strongly recommended” to wear masks, even though they have done nothing to stop the near-universal spread of the virus in Western countries.
House GOP Announces ‘Commitment to America’ — Its First Proposal Should Be Instantly Popular
"*" indicates required fields
OPINION: This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion.