Former President Donald Trump’s attorney certified in June there was ‘no classified material’ left at Mar-A-Lago, according to a Fox News report based on two undisclosed sources.
“Trump’s lawyers previously held a high-level meeting with people from the Justice Department and the FBI, which the former president briefly attended, but it’s unclear if the letter was signed during the meeting,” Fox News reported on Saturday.
“Lawyers for former President Trump could face serious legal consequences if they knowingly gave false information to law enforcement,” the report added.
On Monday, the FBI executed an overly broad search warrant to find both classified and unclassified information at Donald Trump’s estate at Mar-A-Lago. The Feds carried off 15 boxes of items, as listed in a manifest, allegedly including 11 sets of ‘classified’ materials.
Fox News’ seemingly explosive report may fuel the belief that Donald Trump may have concealed classified material from the Biden regime or otherwise committed a violation of the Espionage Act. But the fact is that Trump issued a ‘standing order’ that classified material that was brought back to Mar-A-Lago under his presidency was to be considered declassified. Therefore, the Trump attorney’s certification would have been factual.
“The very fact that these documents were present at Mar-a-Lago means they couldn’t have been classified,” the former president’s office stated. “As we can all relate to, everyone ends up having to bring home their work from time to time. American presidents are no different. President Trump, in order to prepare for work the next day, often took documents including classified documents from the Oval Office to the residence.”
“He had a standing order that documents removed from the Oval Office and taken into the residence were deemed to be declassified,” the statement added. “The power to classify and declassify documents rests solely with the President of the United States. The idea that some paper-pushing bureaucrat, with classification authority delegated BY THE PRESIDENT, needs to approve of declassification is absurd.”
John Solomon, the CEO and Editor in Chief of Just the News, appeared on “Hannity” on Friday night and provided his insight on the “standing order.”
“So first off, it’s important to understand that the way the classification is currently governed is by two executive orders,” Solomon explained. “One in 2003 by President Bush, one in 2009 called 13526 by President Obama. It says ‘everybody the government who wants it to classify a document must follow these the classification procedures except the president and the vice president. They made declassify anything, for any reason, at any moment, while they are the incumbent, if it assists the role of their job.”
“I’ve talked to archivists, former chiefs of staff, former staff secretaries, which are the document librarians for every president — section 3.5 of the executive order I just mentioned, first by Bush, later by Obama, says ‘everybody has to follow this procedure, except the president and the vice president.’ The vice president and president may do anything. Now, each president may have their own orderly way of doing it. So they keep track of things. But the law is pretty clear on the executive order that the president and vice president have absolute authority.”
Former national security official Kash Patel attested in a Fox News interview on Friday that the ‘classified’ documents the FBI seized from Mar-A-Lago were already declassified.
“And the receipts that are now becoming publicly available show vague descriptions of things, because the government is likely going to come in and say some of this stuff is classified, but it doesn’t seem to be the case, when Donald Trump issued sweeping declassification orders on multiple occasions… as president, on multiple times,” Patel said. “So that’s going to be a distinction that we need to watch for, and it’s incumbent upon the government, the DOJ to tell us what happened.”
Patel also discussed the June meeting mentioned above.
“All right,” MacCallum said. “So you’re saying the GSA packed these boxes, they’ve already admitted that they sent some of them there in error. Yeah. So then, when, in June, when they went in with the subpoena and they collected the boxes, apparently then, you know, according to one line of this story, somebody said, ‘no, there’s actually more here and you need to come back for what is here because it shouldn’t be here.’ Do you think that is what happened? Do you think? And, the Secret Service individual who was involved in that is one of the storylines that we’re pursuing.”
“Yeah, I don’t know who that individual is, but I think it was clear from President Trump’s statements that I believe he put out on Truth Social that he invited, whoever was there in June or whatever date we’re talking about to this, to look and have whatever they want and come back, and I’m paraphrasing to see whatever they needed,” he went on. “So if that was the case, which it seems to be because the DOJ has not controverted that statement, then they could have come back because there’s a voluntary cooperation. I don’t know. I don’t have any details that immediate reporting in terms of that incident.
“But again, it seems to be, you know, there’s a different way to treat people regarding classified information, if your name’s Hillary Clinton or James Comey versus if your name is Donald Trump,” he said. “And it’s just not the even handed way to do it. It’s not how we used to do it at the Department of Justice.”
“And for the attorney general to come in heavy handed last night and say, ‘I personally signed off on the warrant,’ that’s not the role of the attorney general to tell the American public that,” Patel continued. “We know that. The role of the attorney general is to tell us ‘why in this, in this case, was it so necessary?’”
“And they, you know, I get me to the point of this whole conversation about nuclear information,” Patel noted. “Okay. Let’s just say, that’s the case. They waited two years to go seize this information? Or, and, and if, if they get away with the two year mark, how about the warrant was issued on Friday? And they executed on Monday. So it was so sensitive, they took the weekend off. I, as a national security prosecutor, would get these warrants and execute them the next minute. And I think you’ll find every national security prosecutor will tell you the same.”
Kash Patel raises an excellent point. As Breitbart News exclusively reported about the FBI search warrant, the Feds waited days to execute its raid after the document was approved.
“The warrant that authorized the search of former President Donald Trump’s residence at Mar-a-Lago shows it was issued by U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart on Aug. 5, 2022, at 12:12 p.m.—nearly three full days before the Justice Department and FBI conducted a raid to execute it,” Breitbart reported.
However, it is being reported elsewhere that the Biden administration may have moved to ‘reclassify’ the documents that were shipped to Donald Trump when he left the White House. If that is the case, and drawing on what Kash Patel said about the GSA packing the ‘wrong documents,’ the entire FBI raid may be yet another set-up.
"*" indicates required fields
OPINION: This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion.