House Republicans will be launching Contempt of Congress proceedings against FBI Director Chris Wray for withholding a sensitive informant document allegedly showing that current President Joseph Biden has engaged in a multi-million dollar international bribery scheme, House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer (R-KY) announced on Monday.
🚨 BREAKING: "The FBI again refused to hand over the unclassified record to the custody of the House Oversight Committee — and we will now initiate contempt of Congress hearings this Thursday," says Chairman @JamesComer. pic.twitter.com/EHlsz7ZzpI
— RNC Research (@RNCResearch) June 5, 2023
“FBI officials confirm that the unclassified FBI generated record has not been disproven and is currently being used in an ongoing investigation,” Comer said.
“The confidential human source who provided information about the Vice President Biden being involved in a criminal bribery scheme is a trusted, highly credible informant who has been used by the FBI for over 10 years and has been paid over six figures,” he continued.
“These are facts and no amount of spin and frankly, lies from the White House or congressional Democrats can change this information,” he added.
“At the briefing, the FBI, again refused to hand over the class unclassified record to the custody of the House Oversight Committee, and we will now initiate contempt of Congress hearings this Thursday,” Comer said.
“Given the severity and complexity of the allegations contained within this record, Congress must investigate further,” he went on. “Americans have lost trust in the FBI’s ability to enforce the law, impartially and demand answers, transparency and accountability.”
“The investigation is not dead,” Comer said. “This is only the beginning. It appears this investigation is part of an ongoing investigation, which I assume is in Delaware. The oversight committee will follow the facts, and be transparent to the American people with our findings.”
Comer has issued a subpoena for the FD-1023 form, which allegedly contains information regarding a conversation between President Biden and a foreign national discussing “money for policy decisions,” as claimed by an FBI whistleblower.
Earlier this month, the FBI declined to provide the document, citing strict limitations on sharing confidential human source information outside of the bureau, as stated by Christopher Dunham, the FBI’s acting assistant director for congressional affairs, in a letter.
On Monday, the FBI once again refused to comply with the subpoena, leading Comer to announce that Contempt of Congress proceedings will now be undertaken.